Jon Cartwright FCCA CTA TEP
Jon is a partner with almost 30 years’ accountancy and tax experience. He joined Hazlewoods in 1988, trained as an accountant, qualifying in 1990, and became a Chartered Tax Adviser in 1991. Jon became a Hazlewoods Partner in 1997.
Jon now has 24 years of experience in advising the legal profession. He writes and lectures nationally, has written a book on the sector for CCH, and is a member of the ICAEW Solicitors Special Interest Group Committee. He is closely involved with The Law Management Section of The Law Society, and our Legal Team has produced their annual Law Firm Financial Benchmarking Survey for the last seven years (and continues to do so).
We started a niche specialisation advising the legal profession in 1992. The legal team now consists of 27 staff and acts for 160 practices and 800 individual solicitors on a recurring basis, in addition to ad-hoc work performed for other businesses to include:
- Practice Valuations;
- High level structure and taxation advice;
- Practice mergers, acquisitions and demergers;
- Advising on practice start ups, including financial viability, working capital funding, growth strategies;
- Financial benchmarking;
- Profitability improvement by work type; and
- Working with mid-tier private equity and others wishing to grow market share.
Since the opening up of ownership opportunities for legal practices in 2012, Jon has gained considerable experience in advising on private equity backed transactions, and also working with practices seeking advantages from other regulatory changes.
In terms of practice valuations, our Legal Team prepares somewhere between 10 and 20 of these per year. Three of these are as a direct consequence of Hazlewoods either being engaged to sell the practice, or provide advice for the purposes of changes in the practice’s ownership structure.
Jon has extensive experience in various aspects of litigation. He has been appointed as a Single Joint Expert and prepared Expert Witness reports in matrimonial cases, professional negligence cases and in respect of advice on a wide range of issues including:
- Joint expert instructions on various taxation and other matters involving law firm owners;
- Loss of profit claims;
- Professional negligence;
- Client money fraud;
- Disputes within practices;
- Fraud and false accounting;
- Quantification of loss for Tax Tribunals; and
- Independent expert reports for banks.
Jon has witness box experience and training. He has attended many mediations and joint meetings of experts.